{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: Davey goes a'routin' ....

Posted on 16/03/08 20:55:02
Dave in Perth

Davey goes a'routin' ....
thought I better get my own thread for this stuff.

Progress so far..

started with this on a 9mm 1200 x 900mm board

It's got one railed lane, works very well. Locking wire is a combo of 80lb fishing line (0.9mm dia.) topped with regular red light duty hook up wire from DSE. Railing thses tracks is time consuming, but the finished result is worth it.

This test track is very tight, yet I can hold my SG+ flat out on 20V except for the inner hairpin, only the slightest backing off required. The paint is a hi gloss enamel, after undercoating/sealing with an oil based primer. Both coats were sprayed on, no problems with paint in the slots Silicone tyres stick like glue on the surface, rubber tyres are a different story with a bit less traction. Maybe a semi gloss is the better option, might try that next.

Posted on 16/03/08 21:05:44
Karl

Re: Davey goes a'routin' ....
Great start Dave!

A bt hard to judge the size from the pic but looks really suited to the JL's

Cool

Posted on 16/03/08 21:10:08
Dave in Perth

Moving up a notch, I'm now attempting this on a 2400 x 1200mm board

Posted on 16/03/08 21:12:09
Dave in Perth

marking it all out takes a while

Posted on 16/03/08 21:15:49
Dave in Perth

gettin' there..

Posted on 16/03/08 21:19:22
Dave in Perth

finally got it all done.

Using the edge routed method means it doesn't matter too much if things are out by a few mm, although I got it pretty close

Next is the cutting out..

Posted on 17/03/08 18:32:56
richard

Hi Dave,

Looks good! Did you get the test track finished? What does the fishing wire do? Boost the height of the locking wire to the top of the route?

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 17/03/08 19:10:38
CamZH

looking good Dave !
we might have a race meet on a routed track by the end of the year !

Posted on 17/03/08 20:38:45
Dave in Perth

Richard wrote:
Hi Dave,

Looks good! Did you get the test track finished? What does the fishing wire do? Boost the height of the locking wire to the top of the route?

Cheers

Richard

The test track is going to stay as a single lane for now, mainly a proof of concept type thing. Might finish it off in the future tho.

You got it right about the fishing line, I was very pleased to discover the line has its diameter given on the spool, and at under $5 for 150m the price is excellent I guessed at the 0.9mm line, and it was spot on.

Cam, can you get me small spools of light duty hook up wire for cheapies?? Failing that, it's only 25c per metre at DSE..

I plan to have the 2nd track finished in a few weeks, it's still a bit small compared to our plastic tracks, and should be faster too. A double board sized track is what we'll need eventually.

PS after marking the whole thing out, all my arc centres are already marked, so I've actually gone back to swinging my corners with a radius arm lol only prob is, some of the curves are too tight to swing on the inner lane, so will have to figure that out another way..

Posted on 17/03/08 21:32:12
richard

Dave in Perth wrote:
Richard wrote:
Hi Dave,

Cheers

Richard

The test track is going to stay as a single lane for now, mainly a proof of concept type thing. Might finish it off in the future tho.

You got it right about the fishing line, I was very pleased to discover the line has its diameter given on the spool, and at under $5 for 150m the price is excellent I guessed at the 0.9mm line, and it was spot on.

Cam, can you get me small spools of light duty hook up wire for cheapies?? Failing that, it's only 25c per metre at DSE..

I plan to have the 2nd track finished in a few weeks, it's still a bit small compared to our plastic tracks, and should be faster too. A double board sized track is what we'll need eventually.

PS after marking the whole thing out, all my arc centres are already marked, so I've actually gone back to swinging my corners with a radius arm lol only prob is, some of the curves are too tight to swing on the inner lane, so will have to figure that out another way..

How is your rail spacing? Sounds like I need some fishing line

Posted on 17/03/08 22:37:55
CamZH

yeah, sure i can hook you up with some wire... no pun intended..

colour ? size ?

Posted on 17/03/08 23:37:17
Dave in Perth

K-Mart - 80lb fishing line, 0.9mm 150m $4.64

there is a 100 lb, 1.0mm variety for the same price, but it's "only" 100m

Rail spacing is good, I get about 15.5mm outer to outer on the straight. It varies a little on the corners, but every car I've tried so far works well. I did put the locking wire outside the inner rail on the centre hairpin, but prob wasn't necessary.

Posted on 21/03/08 21:37:34
Dave in Perth

I've been busy with this project, just don't remind me of the other things I should be doing

began with cutting the pin slots

Posted on 21/03/08 21:42:17
Dave in Perth

then cut the rail pockets. Getting the depth right for these is tricky, not as easy as "set and forget" had to go over some bits twice, I can put some of it down to board flex, but the rest is a mystery..

Posted on 21/03/08 21:52:59
Dave in Perth

gave it a quick undercoat, will give this a light sand, then recheck the rail pocket depths before I apply the top coat.

Still undecided on how to finish this track off, I'm tempted to cut some bits out cos it will look better. I may even route a "gutter" around the track edge so it's more clearly defined. Needs something done as the paint hides the actual track border..

Posted on 22/03/08 08:05:03
CamZH

maybe just paint the track surface rather than the other bits ? if you're using a spray can it will give some interesting results.. i wouldnt bother masking just try and keep it all together and see how it goes, might get some might faded spots ?

Posted on 22/03/08 11:02:34
richard

Dave in Perth wrote:
Getting the depth right for these is tricky, not as easy as "set and forget" had to go over some bits twice, I can put some of it down to board flex, but the rest is a mystery..

Dave, I found my router was moving up and down slightly; if you were routing a large piece (a coffee table, for example), a 0.5mm variance isn't a big deal, but because we are routing tiny sections, it's a big deal. I found the same as you, routing over again cleared up the problems.

But it's looking good!!!

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 22/03/08 16:19:08
Dave in Perth

CamZH wrote:
maybe just paint the track surface rather than the other bits ? if you're using a spray can it will give some interesting results..

yeah I thought about masking stuff off but I think I'll paint some grass islands on the inner bits, along with ripple strips etc
No spraycans used, just my little compressor and spraygun

Posted on 30/03/08 22:07:10
Dave in Perth

Re: Davey goes a'routin' .... time for an update
couple of top coats applied, I got my original grey paint tinted much darker, looks alot better

so here we have one freshly railed routed 4 lane HO track.
Test laps show up how tight the layout is, but it's still fun.

Still to come are the table frame, power wiring and reed switch install. After that it I'll dress it up a bit with ripple strips and green infields etc

Posted on 30/03/08 22:08:48
Dave in Perth

closer view of rails etc..

page: 1 2 3 last
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]